Shell’s Downstream organisation is made up of a number of different business activities, part of an integrated value chain, that collectively turn crude oil into a range of refined products, which are moved and marketed around the world for domestic, industrial and transport use. The products we sell include gasoline, diesel, heating oil, aviation fuel, marine fuel, liquefied natural gas (LNG) for transport, lubricants, bitumen, sulphur and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). In addition, we produce and sell petrochemicals for industrial use worldwide.
In 2014, Shell Downstream
- Recorded Shell’s highest ever refinery availability during a year. This achievement was a result of improvements in operational effectiveness supported by a strong year in turnaround delivery.
- Formed Shell Midstream Partners L.P. to own, operate, develop and acquire pipelines and other midstream assets. The company began trading on the New York Stock Exchange in October 2014 under the ticker symbol SHLX.
- Completed the sale of the majority of our Downstream businesses in Italy and Australia and signed an agreement to sell our retail, commercial fuels and bitumen businesses and supply terminals in Norway.
- Opened a base oil manufacturing plant in South Korea; significantly increasing the volume of Group II base oils for our supply chain in the region.
- Utilised our Pearl gas-to-liquids (GTL) plant to provide feedstock for both our Chemicals and Lubricants businesses, demonstrating the value of our integrated portfolio. We unveiled Helix and Pennzoil with PurePlus GTL technology in Lubricants’ largest product launch; in Chemicals we launched our next-generation GTL high-purity paraffinic fluids and solvents.