Skip to main content


4,049 Employees

  • Third-party revenues


  • Related-party revenues


  • Total revenues


  • Profit before tax


  • Tax paid


  • Tax accrued


  • Tangible assets


  • Stated capital


  • Accumulated earnings


Main business activities

  • Downstream
  • Trading and Supply
  • Renewables and Energy Solutions
  • Upstream
  • Integrated Gas
  • Other support activities

Shell’s footprint

Shell has been present in Germany since 1902. We operate an extensive retail network; refine and supply transport and heating fuels, aviation fuels, petrochemicals and bitumen; and supply lubricants, power and natural gas. Shell is transitioning its oil and gas business towards more and cleaner energy solutions. The business is grouped together as Deutsche Shell Holding GmbH. Research and development are also undertaken by the Shell Technology Centre in Hamburg.

Country financial analysis

Shell companies in Germany are subject to a corporate income tax rate of 32%. Shell made a loss in 2019, 2020 and 2021. This was due to a number of reasons, including the transformation of existing businesses and a surplus of fuel supply in Europe which negatively impacted the refinery results. Demand and price levels are still below those seen before COVID-19. German tax law allows Shell to offset 60% of its yearly tax profits with a loss carry-forward and to pay a minimum tax on the remaining 40%. Shell in Germany continues with an overall loss carry-forward position.

Corporate income tax
This is a direct tax imposed on companies’ profits. It is sometimes levied at a national level but can also be levied on a state or local basis.
View complete glossary