Skip to main content


icon two people standing next to a building (icon)



Icon banknotes with arrows pointing left and right (icon)

Total tax contribution


Taxes borne


Taxes collected


  • Third-party revenues


  • Related-party revenues


  • Total revenues


  • Profit before tax


  • Corporate income tax paid


  • Corporate income tax accrued


  • Stated capital


  • Accumulated earnings


  • Tangible assets


  • Other payments to governments

Shell's footprint

Shell has been present in Germany since 1902. We operate an extensive retail network; refine and supply transport and heating fuels, aviation fuels, petrochemicals and bitumen; and supply lubricants, electricity and natural gas. Shell is transitioning its oil and gas business towards energy solutions with fewer emissions. The businesses are grouped together under Deutsche Shell Holding GmbH. Research and development are also undertaken by the Shell Technology Centre in Hamburg. Shell agreed to sell its Shell Energy businesses in Germany and the UK on September 1, 2023.

Country financial analysis

Shell companies in Germany are subject to a corporate income tax rate of 32%. In 2022, the German government introduced a "solidarity contribution" as a form of windfall tax in light of the high revenues made by energy companies.

In 2022, Shell in Germany made a profit before tax of $3,200 million as a result of considerably higher gas prices and oil refining margins, compared with a loss in previous years. German tax law allows Shell to offset 60% of its yearly tax profits with tax losses carried forward and to pay a minimum tax on the remaining 40%. Shell in Germany continues to have carried-forward tax losses.

Read more in Total tax contribution, in Windfall taxes and in Payments to Governments Report(

Corporate income tax
This is a direct tax imposed on companies’ profits. It is sometimes levied at a national level but can also be levied on a state or local basis.
View complete glossary
Profit before tax
Profit or loss before tax is reported in Shell's Consolidated Statement of Income. This is the profit or loss calculated using Group accounting policies. Local statutory accounts may need to comply with local accounting standards which may be different. The local statutory accounting profit or loss is the basis for the calculation of taxable profits in individual countries or locations. Local tax laws are then applied to the profit or loss. Profit before tax shows the Group accounting result but not the profits subject to tax after compliance with local tax laws. Any share of profit or loss from non-consolidated joint ventures and associates is attributed to the country where the shareholding entity is based. This figure is reported after accounting for corporate income tax accrued in the joint venture or associate's accounts and is included in the shareholding entity's profit before tax.
View complete glossary