Capital expenditure and portfolio
Cash capital expenditure
Cash capital expenditure (cash capex) was $3.9 billion in 2021, compared with $3.3 billion in 2020.
Cash capital expenditure in Marketing increased by $0.3 billion mainly because of higher spend in growth projects relating to biofuels and retail. In Refining and trading, cash capital expenditure increased by $0.2 billion due to turnarounds. Our cash capital expenditure is expected to be around $7 billion to $8 billion in 2022.
Portfolio and business developments
Significant portfolio and business developments in 2021 included:
- In July 2021, we announced the start-up of Europe’s largest polymer electrolyte membrane hydrogen electrolyser at the Shell Energy and Chemicals Park Rheinland, Germany, producing green hydrogen (hydrogen produced from renewable energy sources).
- In July 2021, our subsidiary Shell Deutschland reached an agreement for the sale of its non-operated 37.5% shareholding in the PCK Schwedt Refinery, 120 km north-east of Berlin, Germany.
- In August 2021, trading in shares of Raízen S.A., our joint venture (Shell interest 44%), began on the São Paulo Stock Exchange (B3) in Brazil, after a successful initial public offering.
- In September 2021, we announced a final investment decision to build an 820,000-tonnes-a-year biofuels facility at the Energy and Chemicals Park Rotterdam, the Netherlands, which was formerly known as the Pernis refinery.
- In October 2021, we signed an agreement to acquire the retail gas station network (including gas stations, convenience retail and dealer supply agreements) from the Landmark group of companies, a Texas-based fuel retail and convenience retailing business. Subject to the satisfaction of closing conditions, the deal expected to be completed in the first half of 2022.
- In January 2022, our subsidiary Shell Oil Company completed the sale of its interest in Deer Park Refining Limited Partnership, in Texas, USA. This was a 50:50 joint venture between Shell Oil Company and P.M.I. Norteamerica, S.A. De C.V. (a subsidiary of Petróleos Mexicanos, or Pemex). The transaction transferred Shell’s interest in the partnership, and with it full ownership of the refinery, to Pemex. The agreement for sale of its interest was reached in May 2021. Shell Chemical L.P. continues to operate its 100% owned Deer Park Chemicals facility located adjacent to the site.
- In February 2022, we have made a non-binding offer to purchase all remaining common units held by the public representing limited partner interests in Shell Midstream Partners, L.P. for $12.89 per common unit in cash. The proposed transaction is subject to a number of contingencies, including the approval of the board of directors of Shell Midstream Partners, L.P. and the satisfaction of any conditions to the consummation of a transaction set forth in any definitive agreement concerning the transaction.