3,339 Employees

Third-Party Revenues
Related-party revenues
Total Revenues
Profit Before Tax
Tax Paid
Tax Accrued
Tangible Assets
Stated Capital

not available at the time of publication

Accumulated Earnings

Main Business Activities

  • Upstream and Integrated Gas
  • Downstream
  • Manufacturing
  • Chemicals
  • Trading and Supply
  • New Energies
  • Other support activities

Shell has been present in Germany since 1902. We operate an extensive retail network, refine and supply heating fuels, aviation fuels and petrochemicals, and supply lubricants, power and natural gas. The business is grouped together as Deutsche Shell Holding GmbH, based in Hamburg.

Research and development is also undertaken by the Shell Technology Centre in Hamburg.

Country Financial Analysis

In the period 2009-16, Shell was not profitable in Germany, causing a loss carry-forward position which has been used to offset taxable profits in the tax years from 2017 onwards. This was due to a number of different reasons, including a surplus of fuels in Europe. German tax law allows Shell to offset 60% of its yearly tax profits with a loss carry-forward and to pay a minimum tax on the remaining 40%. Shell paid $69 million in corporate income tax in 2018 as a result of this rule, but continues with an overall loss carry-forward position.

Our Payments to Governments report for 2018 shows that Shell received a refund of around $10 million in taxes. This refund is in relation to withholding taxes on dividends received from a joint venture.