Skip to main content

Social investment

Our activities contribute to economies through taxes, jobs and business opportunities. We also make social investments in areas determined by local community needs and priorities. This investment is sometimes voluntary, sometimes required by governments, or part of a contractual agreement. In 2021, we spent almost $149 million on social investment, of which 37% was required by government regulations or contractual agreements. We spent the remaining $94 million (63%) on voluntary social investment.

Social investment by theme


37% 16% 14% 11% 8% 6% 2% 3% 1% a b c d e f g h i j 2% Education Required social investment a b Community development c Disaster relief d Energy access e Community skills and enterprise development f Health g Biodiversity h Other i Road safety j 37%16%14%11%8%6%2%3%1%abcdefghij2%EducationRequired social investmentabCommunity developmentcDisaster reliefdEnergy accesseCommunity skills and enterprise developmentfHealthgBiodiversityhOtheriRoad safetyj

Around $72 million of our total social investment spend in 2021 was in countries that, according to the UN Development Programme’s Human Development Index 2019, have a gross domestic product of less than $15,000 a year per person.

Social investment by region


40% 15% 14% 11% 8% 7% 5% a b c d e f g Middle East and North Africa Africa a b USA and Canada c Asia Pacific d Europe/CIS e Global f Latin America g 40%15%14%11%8%7%5%abcdefgMiddle East and North AfricaAfricaabUSA and CanadacAsia PacificdEurope/CISeGlobalfLatin Americag

Find out more about our social investment at

United Nations
View complete glossary