Our activities contribute to economies through taxes, jobs and business opportunities. We also make social investments in areas determined by local community needs and priorities. These investments are sometimes voluntary, sometimes required by governments, or part of a contractual agreement. In 2022, we spent almost $260 million on social investment, of which 30% was required by government regulations or contractual agreements. We spent the remaining $182 million (70%) on voluntary social investment.
Around $92 million of our total social investment spend in 2022 was in countries that, according to the UN Development Programme’s Human Development Index 2021, have a gross national income of less than $15,000 a year per person.
Find out more about our social investment at www.shell.com/sustainability/communities.